After the Sphero Strandbeest I wanted to build a new smaller version with motors and remote control. The Sphero Strandbeest was only able to walk in a straight line and it was not an easy task to mod it into something else. I decided to leave it like it was and move on to this new project. It was something Roxanna and I had talked about making for a while and she had already made the GlowStrand and started on Deca. I therefore got some good ideas from her earlier and ongoing builds. When I started modelling The Beest I had already settled on mounting small yellow geared motors in modules of two legs to make the build modular. This was also something Roxanna had worked out during her prototyping, but I wanted to redesign everythng and make the build slightly different.
I started by setting up the correct measurements for the Theo Jansen linkage in Inventor . I had the Sphero Strandbeest in Inventor and used this model as a starting point for the legs measurement ratio as this is crucial for a smooth walk. I then started modelling the motor to exact measurements.
The motor model I made for precise modelling.
The final leg and motor enclosure design.
After a lot of small design changes and many failed prints and tests...
I ended up with a working design, and a box of "spare" parts.
The final design with a temporary middle part. I have still not decided how the middle part will look but since this design is modular now it is easy to swap it(4 nuts). I'm working on a middle part with a latch that opens by servo power but I haven't finished it yet. I will share the final middle as soon as I have finished designing it.
Check out the 3D print tab for build instructions and ask in the comments if something is unclear.